Monday, August 17, 2015

Pea Soup

I have an original recipe for Spring Pea Soup and it's one of my favorites. This is another great recipe.
I know there are those that don't like Peas at all.  You either love them or you hate them. So before I post this new recipe I'll repost a poem that I wrote about Peas.




Peas in the Kitchen!

Peas in the kitchen,
Peas in the pot!
Peas aren't for everyone, cold nor hot.
I happen to enjoy them, I guess I always did.
I just put them in some water in a pot that has a lid, 
I cook them 'till they're tender, like my grandma always did.

I serve them on a platter just as plain as they can be.
I melt a bit of butter then I turned around to see,
There are others at the table waiting patiently for me!
So, I offer them with pleasure, "help yourselves" if you please.
They turn around and say to me,
"No Thank You", we hate Peas!

Terry Mosher

Peace in the Kitchen! ( or Peas)!


3 TBS Olive Oil
1 small Shallot, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste. ( Sometimes I eliminate the Salt because Parmesan Cheese is very Salty)
I'll  reduce the amount of Grated Parmesan and add Salt if I don't use a Chicken Broth, which is also Salty. (see NOTE below)
1 lb. of Fresh Shelled Green Peas ( you can also use frozen Peas)
1 Quart of Water (4 C)
1 Egg
1/4 C Grated Parmesan Cheese
Freshly shaved Reggio Parmigiano Cheese for Garnish


In a Large Saucepan or our Pot on Medium Heat:
Oil, until Hot.

Add:
Onion
Season to taste with Salt and Pepper
Cook until softened.

Add:

Peas
Stir well with a wooden spoon.

Add:
Water
Cook for 1 Hour. ( cook just until it reaches a boil if you use Frozen Peas)

In a Small Mixing Bowl:
Eggs
Whisk well.

Add:
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Stir to combine well.

To the Pot:

Drizzle Egg Mixture.
Stir and Drop it with a Spoon.
The Eggs will set in strands.

At the end, I took it off the heat and used a Balloon Whisk to break up some of the large pieces of the Egg and Cheese Mixture.


Serve Hot.
Garnish each serving with Freshly shaved Reggio Parmigiana Cheese.

NOTE:
I thought I'd add some adaptations  that I made to the recipe based on what I had available and to add a bit more flavor.
I added a Large Scallion, 4 Cups of Frozen Peas, same about of Water, 2 TBS of a Vegetarian Chicken Broth Powder, so I eliminated the Salt in the recipe because the Chicken flavoring has enough Salt in it, and  I added 2 Eggs. If you can't find a Vegetarian Chicken Powder you can use Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Broth Base.



I often adapt my own recipes. You can make any recipe your own as long as you try to keep to the original recipe and only add to it based on your personal taste. I could have added some Fresh Chopped Dill at the end, just before serving.




Enjoy!
Peas in the Kitchen!










No comments:

Post a Comment