Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Basic French Macarons

We recently returned from a 6 week trip to France. I was in pursuit of the latest Macarons shops and we definitely found them. It's a well known fact that Macarons are not the easiest pastry to make so most people buy them and never attempt to make them. I decided to learn how to make them. I posted the entire process on my Blog.

These are some of the Macarons that I made during the class.
It shows an example of creating your own template on parchment paper..


This is the Silicone Mold.
The circles are 1 1/2" 



Les Macarons! I took a class to learn how to make these amazing French Treats.

 I don't expect everyone to make them but I wanted to include what I consider to be a basic recipe. At the end I've included my favorite recipe for Pastry Cream. It's not a fancy French filling but your guests don't have to know that when you serve these. Once you've tried the basics, you can move on to create some incredibly decadent Macarons.

Basic French Macarons.

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 315.
You'll also need one of two templates. You can purchase a Silicone template or make your own by drawing the circles on Parchment Paper.

1 3/4 C Confectioner's Sugar
1 1/4 C Finely Ground Almonds.
3 1/2 oz. Egg Whites

Sift together Sugar and Almonds onto a piece of Waxed Paper.
In a large mixing bowl beat Egg Whites until stiff peak.
Gently fold Sugar Mixture into the Egg Whites with a Silicone Spatula.

Pipe the batter onto a Silicone Macaron Mold or onto a  Parchment Paper Template on a Sheet Pan.
If using the Silicone Mold, place it on a Sheet Pan to bake.
Slam the Sheet pan  several times on a flat surface to release any air from the batter.
After piping the Macarons, allow them to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove the pan to a rack to dry completely.
Sandwich two Macarons with your favorite filling.

The following is a link to my favorite, easy, simple and delicious Pastry Cream:

Pastry Cream

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!











No comments:

Post a Comment