Sunday, March 29, 2015

Espresso Cream Pie

I happen to love Espresso Coffee. I learned to appreciate it in the early 70's when I was living in Europe. I had never had coffee before then so I learned to drink the best. When I came home, I brought my stovetop Bialetti Espresso maker with me. I've had one since then.
Here's an unusual Pie with the taste of really good Espresso. I only use Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee. I bake with it a lot and I also use it for a quick cup of great Espresso.
This pie is served with an Espresso Whipped Cream, recipe included.





Espresso Cream Pie

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. This is only to bake the crust. The pie is not baked.
1 - 9" Pie Pan

Chocolate Espresso Crust ingredients:

1 1/2 C Chocolate Wafer Crumbs. (about 30 wafers)
1 /4 C Granulated Sugar
6 TBS Butter, melted
2 tsp Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee

Filling ingredients:

4 TBS Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee
3 C Heavy Cream
3 C Granulated Sugar
3 TBS Cornstarch
2/4 tsp Salt
4 Egg Yolks, beaten
2 TBS Butter, softened
2 TBS Kahlua Coffee Liqueur

Whipped Cream ingredients:

1 C Heavy Cream
4 tsp Sugar
2 TBS Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee




Crust preparation:

In a small mixing bowl:
Cookie Crumbs
Sugar
Whisk well.

Add:
Butter
Medaglia d'Oro
Mix well with a fork.
Press evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the Pie Pan.
Bake 8 - 10 minutes.


Filling preparation:

In a saucepan on medium high heat:
4 TBS of Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee
Heavy Cream
Whisk well.
Continue whisking until just before it boils.
Remove from heat.
Transfer to a bowl.

Rinse and dry the saucepan.
Add:
Sugar
Cornstarch
Salt
Whisk well.

Add:
Coffee flavored cream
Egg Yolks
Cook on Medium heat.
Whisk constantly until it boils.
Reduce heat to a simmer for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat.

Add:
Butter
Kahlua
Whisk well.
Cover with plastic wrap directly on the top of the filling.
Allow to cool at least 15 minutes.
Remove the plastic wrap.
Whisk one more time.
Pour into the crust.
Refrigerate while making the Whipped Cream.


Whipped Cream preparation:

In a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer.
Heavy Cream
Sugar
Beat until soft peak.
Gently fold in Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee

Serve the Whipped Cream as a garnish on individual servings.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!








No comments:

Post a Comment