Sunday, December 7, 2014

Christmas Sugar Plums and Hazelnut Balls

We have a Christmas Open House every year. It's a time to share the scents, sounds, sights and flavors of the season with friends and family.
Every year the menu changes. We find new and unique treats to add to the traditional ones.
This year I'm adding these two new recipes.

Sugar Plums

1 1/4 C Roasted Almonds (roughly chopped)
1 1/2 C Prunes  (roughly cut into pieces)
1 1/2 C Dried Apricots (roughly cut into pieces)
3 TBS Honey
1 tsp Orange Zest
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Scoop the mixture with a 1 1/4" cookie scoop to keep them the same size. Roll them in the palm of your hand to create a smooth ball.
Roll the balls in coarse sugar.







Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




Hazelnut Balls
Yield 24 - 26 Balls.

This is my cookie that won second place in the Easy Category at the 2015 Dallas Morning News Holiday Cookie Contest.

3/4 C Hazelnuts (finel chopped, leaving some small pieces)
1 C Rice Krispies
1/2 C Nutella
A bowl of Confectioner's Sugar for rolling the Balls.

Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and gently fold until everything is combined.
Scoop the mixture with a 1 1/4" cookie scoop to keep them the same size. Roll them in the palm of your hand to create a smooth ball.
Roll the balls in Confectioner's Sugar.

(Another tip I've learned as I continue to make these): I've made so many batches of them this season. I scoop quite a bit of the mixture into the cookie scoop and then I press it firmly against the palm of my hand until there's enough to form a dense ball. I release it into a bowl of  Confectioner's Sugar and sprinkle it and roll it around until it's completely coated.
These were my favorite cookie this year.
I will definitely make these every year!


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment