Saturday, October 4, 2014

Spinach Artichoke Dips / Artichoke Dips, Spinach Dips....... etc. A collection of my favorites!

I've tried every Spinach Artichoke recipe I can find. I haven't found the perfect one yet. I have a favorite one that I've posted on the blog, but it was adapted from a recipe.
This another adapted recipe. I like the convenience of the Crock Pot and the fact that it will stay warm during an entire party.
I've posted additional favorites at the end of this recipe.


I'll begin with a Poem!

Ode to the Artichoke, Terry Mosher!

I gave a dinner party, and I served some artichokes!
The guests began to laugh and make rude remarks and jokes.
They said, " these things could stick us" and they threw them on the floor.
I turned around, I walked away and thought I'd just ignore!

Then, I jumped up on the table and I began to say:
"what would you expect from a vegetarian, a meat filled, appetizer tray"?
Yes, artichokes are prickly, but I promise they won't hurt.
If you pick them up and eat them, I will serve a nice dessert!

The guests looked quite embarrassed and they said " we have to go",
leaving artichokes all over, on the table and below!
So, I picked them up and placed them in the fridge, upon a shelf.
And everyday, for breakfast, I enjoy one by myself!

Peace in the Kitchen!




Crock Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip:

1 (10 oz.) bag of Baby Spinach Leaves, roughly chopped
1 (14oz.) can of Artichoke Hearts
1/2 C Sour Cream
1/2 C Mayonnaise
1/2 C Onion, roughly chopped1/4 C grated Parmesan Cheese
1 C Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 C Heavy Cream
1 (8oz.) package of Cream Cheese, cubed
1 tsp Adobo Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste

Spray a Crock Pot with a Vegetable Cooking Spray.

Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Pour into the Crock Pot.
Cook on High for 2 hours.
Stir well, reduce heat and keep warm to serve.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

Baked Artichoke - Jalapeño Parmesan Dip / Ellise Pierce

I was checking out some of my favorite blogs this morning and I love to keep in touch with a fellow Texan, fellow Francophile and friend, Ellise Pierce. She is the author of Cowgirl Chef, Texas Cooking with a French Accent. If you haven't gotten a copy of her cookbook, I highly recommend it. I refer to Ellise as my "friend". Actually, I've only met her once. Have you ever met someone for the first time and you feel a kindred spirit? That's how I felt when I first met her. I took a cooking class from Ellise and immediately felt that I had known her all my life. We share our Texas roots and our love of France. I love everything she cooks and I like the way she teaches cooking! We keep in touch and she has published one of my recipes in her column. Ellise, Merci pour tout ce que tu fait dans la cuisine!
A la prochaine classe!


I love this recipe!
Ellise talks about her love for rustic and vintage cookware. You know, those vintage bowls and bakeware that your grandmother and great grandmother mixed recipes in and baked in? Those well used pieces of bakeware that you find in French Flea Markets? Well, I have the same passion. My latest is baking in a Bram and I will bake this recipe in my Bram.





Baked Artichoke-Jalapeno Parmesan Dip
INGREDIENTS
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained
4 cloves garlic
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup plain or Greek yogurt
10-12 sliced jalapenos (pickled)
10 sundried tomatoes
¼ teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a food processor, puree the garlic until finely chopped. Add sun dried tomatoes and pulse until finely chopped. Add artichoke hearts and jalapeno peppers and pulse one or two times, making sure not to puree the artichoke hearts or peppers. You want this to be chunky.
In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, Parmesan cheese, sea salt, and cayenne pepper.

 Fold the artichoke-pepper mixture into the bowl, mix well and pour into a baking dish. 

Sprinkle more grated Parmesan on top.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until heated through and cheese on top starts to brown.
Serve with toasted pita chips, or crispy bread – and champagne!
this is my Bram, it's one of my favorite baking dishes

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Aunt Faye's Artichoke Spinach Dip

2 (8oz.) cans of artichoke hearts or bottoms, drained
1 (10oz.) package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and patted dry with paper towels.
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley
3 TBS minced shallot or green onion
1 large clove of garlic, mashed
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 tsp fresh dill
1 C mayonnaise
2 C sour cream
1 TBS Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Roughly chop artichokes in a food processor or they can be pureed!
Add all ingredients, by hand, in a large bowl until well combined.

It can be thinned with Buttermilk to create a Salad Dressing. Serve with Crackers or Crudite.

If serving with Tortilla Chips, the dip can be heated! ( Aunt Faye did not mention this, but that's what Texans would do)!

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Hatch Chile Artichoke Dip

It's Hatch Chile time at Central Market in Texas.
That means that there is an abundance of Green Chiles available for making all kinds of recipes using Hatch Green Chiles.
It only takes place once a year.
I stock up on the Chiles, freeze them and use them through out the year.
I have a collections of recipes using the Hatch, New Mexico Green Chile.

Here's a Dip using Hatch Chiles:
This is simply an adaptation of a very popular Artichoke Dip.

1 can (14oz.) artichokes, drained and chopped
1 C finely diced Roasted Hatch Chiles, your choice of Mild or Hot
1 C mayonnaise
1 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients together in a 2 qt. baking dish
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes

Serve with crackers or....... here in Texas, we serve with Tortilla Chips!

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Baked Artichoke Bruschetta:

This is an appetizer on the menu at a New York City Cafe.
After I made this, I made some notes with the photographs below. I really need to re write the recipe.
I've adapted it slightly, not changing the integrity of the original recipe.
I love recipes from Cafes, Bistros and Bars.
I recently discovered recipes from Brooklyn's Flatbush Farm & Bar (N).
They use fresh and organic products.
I also posted their recipe for Rhubarb Rice Pudding.

2 large jalapenos, small dice
4 (9oz.) boxes of frozen artichokes, thawed, drained, finely chopped.
After making this I realized that the artichokes need to be well chopped. The pieces were too large to enjoy as a spread. I ended up pulsing them in a food processor. You won't have to do this if you chop them well in the beginning. I also felt that the taste was a bit bland. I would add more spice in some way. I tasted a lot of lemon. I may increase the Tabasco the next time and maybe try adding some Adobo Seasoning and a can of Diced Green Chiles. After all, I live in Texas!

3/4 C mayonnaise
3/4 C fresh grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 C shredded Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
Slices of Toasted French Baguette

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl:
Artichokes
Jalapeno
Mayonnaise
3/4 C Parmesan Cheese
Garlic
Lemon Juice
Lemon Zest
Salt
Tabasco Sauce
Mix Well

Pour into a 1 quart Gratin Dish
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
1C White Cheddar Cheese and broil for 2 minutes until browned and bubbly.

Serve on toasted slices of French Baguette Bread.








This is before it's baked, I'll post a picture of the final dish when I finish it.
We served this and then I realized that it needed something different, based on texture and taste.
The bottom photograph is the final appetizer after I re did it.


This is after I re made it. I pulsed it in a food processor, re baked it.
I added more Cheese to the top and broiled it again.
When I'm ready to serve this dip, I will fold in a can of Diced Green Chiles.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




Hot Spinach /  Artichoke Dip:

Just another Spinach artichoke dip, and a very good one!

1 - (10oz.) package of frozen chopped spinach
2 - (13 3/4 oz.) cans of Artichoke hearts
1/2 C mayonnaise
1/2 C sour cream
1 C grated parmesan
1 C grated pepper jack cheese

Spray a 2quart casserole dish with a vegetable cooking spray.


Microwave the spinach 5 minutes and squeeze dry.
Drain artichokes and chop coarsely in a food processor.

Combine all ingredients , except the cheese, in a large bowl, Stir well.
Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish.
Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


These are three of my favorite original Spinach Dip Recipes.
In Texas, we love spicy food. We also love Dips. We eat a lot of Chile con Queso or, Cheese Dip. It can be white or yellow or ..........Spinach, Hot or Cold, your choice! Dip #1 is served cold and Dip#2 is served hot! I added the classic All American Knorr Spinach Dip at the end of this post with a story.

Texas Spinach Dip #1

1/2 C Mayonnaise
1/2 C Sour Cream
2 TBS Olive Oil
1/2 C Chopped Pecans
1/4 C diced Onion
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Chile Powder
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt to taste
2- 10oz packages of Frozen Spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.

In a skillet:
Heat Olive Oil.
Add Onion and Pecans.
Saute 5 minutes.

Add all spices including Salt to taste.

Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Serve cold with Tortilla Chips.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Texas Spinach Dip #2

8 oz. Pepper Jack Cheese, grated
4 oz. Queso Quesadilla Cheese, grated
1 4.5 oz. can of Diced Green Chiles
1/4 C diced Onion
1 Roma Tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Chile Powder
2 - 10 oz. packages of Frozen Spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.

Fold all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Pour into a 2 quart Casserole Dish.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.
Serve Hot with Tortilla Chips.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!











Well, this is certainly a very well known recipe in every kitchen in America.
It's definitely a "Classic".
I'm posting this for my European friends and for those of you that live in other parts of the world and are interested in our Classic Recipes.

I grew up with this recipe at every New Year's Eve Party, every Picnic, every occasion when some sort of dip was required. It's served on slices of Baguette Bread, on Crackers,  or as a dip for Vegetables. Some have been known to create a sandwich with it and others will simply eat it with a spoon! You know who you are!

It was originally published by the Knorr Soup Company and can be found on the back of the Knorr Vegetable Soup package.

1 10oz. package of Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 1/2 C Sour Cream
1 C Mayonnaise
1 4oz. package of Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix
1 8oz. can of Water Chestnuts, finely chopped
3 Green Onions, finely chopped

In a medium size bowl, stir together :
Spinach
Sour Cream
Soup Mix
Mix well

Add Chestnuts and Onions.
Mix well.
Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment