Monday, September 1, 2014

Cabbage Slaw

I reposted the Cabbage Slaw recipe and two others for Cole Slaw on the blog, because I just made the Cabbage Slaw and added pictures.
I doubled the recipe and it made a lot. I ended up making three of the dressing recipes for the amount of cabbage I had. I used 2 very large heads of cabbage.





Cabbage Slaw:

This is my favorite Slaw.
I've been making it for 10 years.
I make it often.

It's fairly simple and the end result is tasty.

1 Head of Cabbage,shredded
1 Onion, chopped
3/4 C Sugar, divided. Set aside 2 TBS
(I often add 2 Large Onions, diced and 2 Large Carrots, shredded)

I use an 80 oz. Pickle Jar or a Crock to make this in.

Place the shredded Cabbage. Layer the Onions and Carrots as you add layers of Cabbage in a Jar or a Crock.
I Press it all down each time I add some of the Slaw.
You can get a lot in the Crock.
When it's done, it compacts even more.

Sprinkle the Top with all but 2 TBS of the Sugar and do not mix it in. 2 TBS is added to the Dressing.

Heat: In a Saucepan
1 C White Vinegar
3/4 C Vegetable Oil
2 TBS  Sugar
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 tsp Celery Salt

Pour this mixture over the Sugar Layer.
Do not stir it.
Cover it with a plate and a Heavy Object to Press it Down and leave it stand at room temperature overnight.

I often double this recipe because we love it!

Store refrigerated

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

The jar is an 80 Pickle Jar and the Crocks are large.
This made a huge amount of slaw.

This is a Crockery Bread Bowl that's 13" X 6".
This is a lot of slaw.
I recently made some with a 5lb. Taiwanese Cabbage that a friend gave to me. It's delicious. I added 2 Large Onions and 2 Large Carrots. I didn't change the recipe for the Dressing.




I make it in the Crock to sit overnight, transfer it to the Bowl of my Stand Mixer to stir it well and transfer it to covered storage containers and refrigerate it.




No comments:

Post a Comment