Thursday, August 7, 2014

Vintage Refrigerator Cheesecake

I can honestly say that Cheesecake is my favorite dessert....... nothing evens comes close. However, I only make Martha Stewart's Cheesecake recipes. I will admit that it's complicated, but the end results are the best. If we have a family gathering, a church pot luck and even a neighborhood get together, I will make cheesecake.
I know that some people like a recipe with shortcut's ,so I decided to research some easy cheesecake recipes.
This one comes from the archive recipes of my Aunt Faye, you know, the aunt that is the reason that I created this Blog. If you read the beginning of the Blog, you'll see the stories and many recipes that were hers.
She was a professional personal chef.


Refrigerator Cheesecake:

1/2 C Butter, melted
3/4 C Sugar
2 C Graham Cracker Crumbs, Vanilla Wafer Crumbs, Gingersnap Cookie Crumbs or Chocolate Cookie Crumbs. (your choice) + additional for topping the cake.
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 C Cold Water
3 Eggs, separated
2 C Cream Cheese, softened
3 TBS Lemon Juice
1 TBS Grated Lemon Zest
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 C Heavy Cream

In a bowl:
Butter
1/4 C of the Sugar
Crumbs
Mix well and press into a 9" Springform pan. ( I wrap the bottom and sides of my pan with heavy duty foil, whether I'm making a refrigerated dessert or a baked dessert)

In a small bowl:
Soak the gelatin in 1/2 C of the Cold Water for 5 minutes.

In a double boiler over medium heat:
Egg Yolks
Remaining 1/2 C Sugar
Remaining 1/2 C Water
Stirring constantly until it coats the back of a metal spoon.
Add Gelatin and whisk until dissolved.
Set aside

In a large mixing bowl.
Beat Cream Cheese until smooth with a hand mixer.
Add Lemon Juice
Lemon Zest
Salt
Beat until creamy.
Add the Gelatin mixture and beat thoroughly.
Cool mixture in the refrigerator.
When it begins to congeal, beat for several minutes with a hand mixer.

In a medium bowl:
Whip the Heavy Cream.

In a separate bowl:
Beat the Egg Whites until stiff.
Fold the Whipped Cream and the Egg Whites together.
Fold this into the Cream Cheese Mixture and blend well. Don't over mix.

Pour the batter into the pan.
Sprinkle with additional Crumbs.
Refrigerate until firm, overnight is best.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment