Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and a variety of Holiday Cookie Recipes to choose from!

This recipe is from Chef in Training.
 I know that many of you are getting ready for Fall, even though it's 100 degrees here in Texas, I know that I still plan my Fall menus early. I like the sound of this cookie.
I'll make these for our October Block Party.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies:


3/4 C Butter, softened
3/4 C Brown Sugar
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
1 small package of  Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding Mix
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 1/4 C Flour
2 C Chocolate Chips



I just wanted to post this so you can see that
it's seasonal. This means that you need to buy it when you see it .
I so that will all seasonal ingredients.




My choice for all of my Chocolate Chip recipes.


In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment:
Butter
Brown Sugar
Granulated Sugar
Mix well until creamy and both sugars are well combined with the butter.
Add:
Eggs
Vanilla
Continue beating.
Gradually add Flour and Baking Soda.
Continue beating until ingredients are just mixed, don't over mix.
Fold in Chocolate Chips by hand.
Using a 1 1/2: cookie scoop, drop the cookies 2" apart on a parchment paper lined sheet pan.
Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
Remove the pan to a rack and cool for 10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to the rack and cool completely.

Enjoy!
The Fall Season!




I'm making these Halloween Cookies today for a few events. I found this vintage recipe in my wife's recipe card file. You know, the old fashioned wooden box with either hand written 5" X 7" cards or recipes glued to the card.
I find all of these recipes fascinating. They are the recipes of my Aunt Faye that inspired me to create this blog.

Halloween Oatmeal Cookies:
1 C ( 2 sticks) butter, softened
1 C granulated sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 C Quick or Old Fashioned Oats
2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C Rice Krispies Cereal
1 C M&M's ( I used Pumpkin flavored)
1 C chopped pecans
Halloween Candy Corn (those little white, orange and yellow triangle candies).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Line cookie sheet pans with parchment paper

In a stand mixer:
Butter
Granulated Sugar
Brown Sugar
Beat until creamy

Add:
Eggs
Vanilla
Beat Well

In a bowl:
Oats
Flour
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Salt
Mix Well and add to to wet ingredients.

By Hand, fold in:
Rice Krispies
M&M's
Pecans


Use a 1 1/2 " cookie scoop.
Place cookies 2" apart
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.
Immediately after removing from the oven press 2 - 3 pieces of Candy Corn onto the tops of each cookie.
Leave them on the cookie sheet to cool for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Boo!
In the Kitchen!









I just received this recipe from I Love Texas Recipes, it was shared by Annie's Kitchen. Hopefully Spring will show up across the country and Easter will arrive. I've researched many Easter Cookies and I like this recipe the best. I added the option of using Easter M&M's in place of the Cadbury Mini Easter Eggs. This would also be a great cookie dough to make with Halloween M&M's and Christmas M&M's. The basic dough is incredible. To make a great Chocolate Chip Cookie, add 1 - 11.5 oz. bag of Nestle's Chocolate Chunks.



I've taken the liberty of adapting the recipe without compromising the integrity of the original recipe.

2 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 C butter = (2 sticks) or (16 TBS), softened
3/4 C granulated sugar
3/4 C packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 C Cadbury Mini Easter Eggs (see note below for options)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

In a medium bowl:
flour
salt
baking soda
Whisk Well

In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or in a bowl with a hand mixer:
Cream Butter and Sugar until well combined.
Add Vanilla and continue to mix just until incorporated.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating each egg until incorporated.

Gradually beat in dry ingredients.
The dough will be soft.

Chop Mini Eggs in half with a chef's knife and fold into the batter by hand.
Using a medium (1 1/2") cookie scoop, drop cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, 2" apart.
Bake for 9 - 10 minutes.

Options:

Whole Easter M&M's in place of Cadbury Mini Eggs. (1 1/2C)

Halloween M&M's , Christmas M&M's or Cadbury Christmas Chocolates


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Cadbury Christmas Chocolates

Easter M&M's

Cadbury Easter Mini Eggs
These are the ones I used for Easter!
Photograph below.

Halloween M&M's

Christmas M&M's









Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Pecan Wafer Cookies:

I enter a holiday cookie contest every year. I've tried to create my own original recipes but it's not always easy. The contest doesn't require that the recipes be original, but I found it to be challenging and rewarding if they are.
This is not an original recipe and not really worthy of a contest, but it's still a great cookie.
It's a thin cookie. It's a simple cookie and since it has pecans, I consider it to be a Texas cookie!
Everything in Texas is better with either pecans or jalapenos!

1 1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar , divided
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C ( 1 stick) butter
1 1/4 C flour
1 C finely chopped pecans

In a sauce pan, bring 1/2 C sugar and 1/2 C water to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter.
Let it stand until the butter melts.
Add remaining sugar, flour and pecans, mixing well after each is added.

Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour. The dough should be thick.
Use a cookie scoop (about a TBS of dough) drop onto a cookie sheet lined with either Silpat or Parchment Paper about 2" apart.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 9 minutes.
Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Pappy's Christmas Cookies:

I discovered this in my Aunt Faye's recipe collection.
She was a Personal chef in Metamora, Michigan
My Grandchildren call me Pappy.
When I discovered this recipe I knew I had to post it.
I've taken liberty to adapt part of  the recipe to update it, not changing the integrity of the original.

2 C granulated  sugar
16 TBS Butter, softened.
3 eggs
Mix Well, in a Stand Mixer with a Paddle Attachment

Add:
1 C Buttermilk
1 tsp. of Baking Soda
Mix until just incorporated.

Add:
Zest and Juice of 2 Navel Oranges
Mix until just incorporated.

Gradually Add:
4 1/4 C Sifted Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder

Wrap Dough in Plastic Wrap.
Refrigerate Dough for 30 Minutes.

Using a 1 1/2" Cookie Scoop drop the Cookies 2" apart on a Parchment Paper lined Sheet Pan.

Bake at 375 degrees 8 - 10 minutes, until the edges are Golden Brown.

Icing:
In a Small Mixing Bowl:
1 Pound of Confectioner's Sugar
2 tsp. Melted Butter
Zest and Juice of 1 Navel Orange
Mix well with a Blending Fork until Creamy Smooth.
Frost the Cookies with an Offset Spatula.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Hatch Chile Chocolate Drops with a Hatch Chile Glaze:
If you like a bit of heat, try these.
These are one of my favorite cookies.


This is an original recipe created for two cooking and baking competitions that I enter every year. I've been a finalist several times in both competitions.
An original recipe .
I was a finalist in the Cookie contest with another  recipe that I created.
I've simply created a totally different cookie here.
I describe it as the consistency of fudge, maybe a truffle. It has become one of my favorite cookies
and I definitely consider this one to be a "Best of the Best" recipe.
I hope you take the time to make them.
the dough

the baked drops

the finished product!



4 squares ( 1 oz. ea.) of Unsweetened Baking Chocolate , roughly chopped
1/4 C ( 1 1/2 stick ) butter
2 C sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C finely minced, roasted Hatch Chiles + 2TBS ( divided)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 1/2 C flour
1 tub of Frozen Whipped Topping
6 squares  ( 1 oz. ea.) of Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate , roughly chopped

In a medium sized microwavable bowl,
Heat unsweetened chocolate and butter about 2 minutes
Until butter melts and mixture is smooth
Stir in sugar
stir in eggs, vanilla, cayenne pepper
Fold in 1/4 C Hatch Chiles
Add Flour and mix well
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour

Scoop dough into 1 1/2" balls with a cookie scoop
Place 2" apart on a Parchment Paper lined baking sheet pan
They do not spread out.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or until set
Let cookies cool on the baking pan for 2 minutes
Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely

Glaze:

In a microwavable bowl,
Place frozen whipped topping with the Semi Sweet Chocolate
Heat 1 minute and stir
Heat an additional 30 seconds until chocolate is melted
Glaze should be shiny and smooth
Fold in 2 TBS of Hatch Chiles

Let stand for 15 minutes to thicken
Spread over cookies
Allow glaze to set

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment