Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hatch Apple Pie with a Slice of Sharp Cheddar Cheese

I enter our local Hatch Chile Festival Recipe Contest every year and I've been a finalist several times. One year a Hatch Apple Pie took first place.
Here's my version of the pie.
The nice thing about this pie is that it's not over spiced so that you have a chance to taste the Chiles.
I also top mine with a slice of Sharp Cheddar Cheese.

I know this may sound crazy, but I top each piece of pie with a thick slice of  Sharp Cheddar Cheese and place it under the broiler just until it begins to melt.
The first time I had Cheddar Cheese topped Apple Pie was in New York City at Bloomingdale's Cafe.

It was their signature Apple Pie, without the Hatch Chiles of course....... because it takes a Texan to bake Chiles into an Apple Pie Y'all!

Crust:
This is a very basic Pie Crust that you could use for any Double Crust Pie.
1 3/4 C Flour
9 TBS chilled Butter, cut into 1/4" pieces
1/3 C Ice Cold Water ( just enough to form a dough)

Place the flour in a food processor and gradually add the Butter, pulsing until you have a coarse consistency.
With the processor running, drizzle in enough water to hold the dough together.
Remove the dough and form two balls. Wrap each one in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Filling:
1/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
4 C Apple slices
1 C  Diced, Roasted, Hatch Green Chiles.( I use the canned Whole Hatch Chiles) Easier, cleaner and quicker. I don't really like the charred mess that roasted chiles become. The consistency of the roasted ones becomes "mush". I like the chunks of the canned chiles.
Sharp Cheddar Cheese for topping each slice. Try it..... you may just love it! I do.



In a mixing bowl:
Sugar
Flour
Cinnamon
Whisk well.
Add Apples and Hatch Chiles.
Toss until well coated.

Roll out one ball of crust and place it in a 9" Pie Pan.
Add the filling.
Roll out the other ball and gently transfer it to the top of the pie.
Pierce it several times with the tunes of a fork.
Bake for 45 minutes. It should be Golden Brown.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a rack and cool for 15 minutes.

I wanted to share my new Pi Pan that I bought from Food52.

Pretty Cool Huh?





Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment