Thursday, April 3, 2014

Cheese Wafers with Pecans

I research recipes daily. I've been cooking since I was in high school. My Aunt Faye was a chef and I started this Blog in her memory.
When I lived in Colorado in the 70's I started writing my personal collection of my Best of the Best recipes. If you've read this blog from the beginning you know what I'm talking about.
I'm recalling this information because I've always said that there aren't a lot of original recipes today. I know there are....... but so many cooks are adapting recipes that others have adapted and the cycle goes on.
This recipe is one of those I'm talking about. I recently discovered this one somewhere in my research. I love it, but it reminded me of a recipe that I used to make. I thought I had already posted mine on the blog so I looked back and ...... I'll repost it after this "new" one!

Pecan Cheese Wafers:
This is the new one.

6 TBS Flour + additional for dusting
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 TBS Butter, softened
1 TBS Heavy Cream
1 Egg White, beaten
1/2 C Pecan Halves

In a Food Processor, Pulse:
Flour
Salt
Red Pepper Flakes
Combine Well

Add:
Butter
Cheese
Cream
Pulse to form a dough, about 10 seconds
Form the dough into a disk
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour

On a floured surface:
Roll the dough into a 10"X12" rectangle, 1/8" thick.
Cut 2" circles with a biscuit/cookie cutter.
Transfer to a parchment paper lined sheet pan.
Brush the bottom of the Pecans with Egg White and press one on the top of each Wafer.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven, place the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Transfer the Wafers to the cooling rack and cool completely.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




Here's my recipe from 1980. I used to make these often for parties.

Cheese Snaps:

1 pound of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
2 sticks of butter, room temperature
3 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 C Chopped Pecans

Combine the first 5 ingredients on a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and mix well.
Add Pecans
Divide the dough int thirds.
Form each third into small 1 1/2" diameter logs on a sheet of parchment paper.
Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Slice the rolls into 1/4 " slices
Arrange 1 1/2" apart on a baking sheet
Bake for 15 - 18 minutes
Transfer to paper towels to cool
Store in air tight containers

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!








No comments:

Post a Comment